- 125 g butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 500g mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 tspn nutmeg
- 1 tspn mixed spice
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 tspn bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups SR flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- Grease and line the base of a 20 cm cake tin. Set oven temp at moderate 180 deg C.
- Put butter, milk, sugar, fruit & spices into a saucepan, bring to boil and simmer with lid off for 5 mins. Cool slightly, add sherry & bicarbonate of soda.
- When cold, add the beaten eggs and mix well. Sift both flours and fold into mixture. Turn into prepared cake tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 1/4 hours or until cooked.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an air-tight tin.
I have a gas oven and I tend to cook it for 60 mins on 200 degrees C.
I also add some slivered almonds to the mixture.
technorati tags: cakes