Monday, August 20, 2007

Cheese Cakes Or Maids Of Honour

When I was growing up, my mum used to make little "Cheese Cakes" that she said were dated back to WW2. Mum said Grandma used to make these as well, when she was a little girl.

My kids have grown up eating these as well and it's been a couple of years since I have made them. So today I thought, why not and I am sharing this lovely afternoon tea treat with you.


First off you need a clean table and a packet of pastry mix. I use the Vidale as I get 2 sachets per box and that gets me 2 bakes from the 1 box.


Mix the pastry from one pouch and roll out and using a biscuit or scone cutter, cut out the circles for the pastry tart tins.


After they are all cut out and lined in the pastry tins, pop in a small amount of jam onto the pastry. Not too much, just enough to give it some flavour and not have it spilling over the sides while cooking.



Then you need to mix up a vanilla cake mix for the top of the Cheese Cakes. I use a recipe from scratch, not a packet mix.


Then an amount of the cake mix goes onto the top of the pastry and jam. Make sure the mixture touches the edge of the pastry, sealing the jam inside.

Bake at 200 degrees until cake mixture is cooked, this can take about 15 mins.

Then cool on a cake rake. Taking care not to separate the top from the bottom.

Okay, now they are all nice and cool, you can ice them with icing sugar and sprinkle with coconut.




These can be stored in the freezer if you want to have some for another day or just store in a cake tin and enjoy.mrgreen

If you have seen or eaten these before and know them by another name, I'd really love for you to leave a comment and tell me the name.

Technorati technorati tags:

2 comments:

Kez said...

I haven't seen them before, but can I say - they look yummy!

Is the pastry mix a shortcrust?

Lucky-1 said...

Yes it is a shortcrust pastry.