Friday, August 17, 2007

Never Fail Sponge

This recipe is from a Family Circle recipe book. The reason I am sharing it with you is for the following reasons.

Back in 1982 I tried making a sponge cake for the first time. I hadn't much cooking experience and the whole episode was a disaster.

So now 25 years later I have given it another go. Using my duck eggs, gave me the confidence to try as so many people swear by duck eggs in their sponges.

Oh and am I just so proud of the result I got.

I didn't have a four sifter, so I used my colander to sift the S.R. Flour 3 times mrgreen .

So here is the cake finished, safe in the fridge for after tea tonight.



3, eggs separated
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup S.R. Flour, sifted
3 tablespoons water
Jam
Cream, whipped
Icing sugar

  • Preheat oven too 200 degrees.
  • Place egg whites in clean mixing bowl. Beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until thick & glossy.
  • Add egg yokes and beat well. gently fold in flour;then stir in water.
  • Divide mixture evenly between 2 greased and floured 20 cm sandwich tins. Bake in oven about 20 mins (maybe a bit more) until cake springs back when touched and side shrink away from pan.
  • Remove from tins. Cool on a cake rack. When cool spread jam and cream and pop top on. Sprinkle icing sugar on top with sifter.
Enjoy.

Technorati technorati tags:

2 comments:

Polly said...

Happy Birthday Lucky. I hope you're having lots of fun today.

That cake looks luscious. Must be those duck eggs :-)

RUTH said...

That cake looks good enough to eat...LOL I must try this recipe...thanks