Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Whitening Leeks

Ever wondered how those leeks are made so lovely and white?? People have different ways of blanching them. I thought I'd tell you how I blanch mine.




These leeks were picked last night for the chicken pie I was cooking for tea. I popped a pencil next to the leeks, to give you an idea of their size.

The whiter the stalks the more tender the leeks are and also less waste. I used toilet rolls or kitchen toweling paper rolls cut in half.

By the time the leeks are big enough for harvesting, those leeks have become lovely and white. Perfect for the dinner plate.




All sliced and ready for the chicken pie. Toilet rolls are not wasted either, into the worm farm they go.

If you haven't grown leeks, give them a go. Great flavour and a good fill in for when you run out of onions in the kitchen.

Until next time....hoo roo

Technorati technorati tags: ,

1 comment:

Em said...

Thankyou! What a fantastic idea :) Off to raid the kids toilet roll stash...